Tuesday, May 15, 2007

web two point whatever

Wikipedia says that the term "Web 2.0" was coined in 2004. If that is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) then I am even later out of the gate with this than I thought, but what kind of a RIA designer would I be if I didn't have something to say about this subject. I know there have been reams written about whether or not it is aptly named and even a lawsuit or two, so I wont bother with any of that. I actually couldn't care less what it is called; like the vowel-challenged sites and applications that have emerged, it is less about the name than what it enables. The fact that people are using new technologies to further the abilities and usefulness of online experiences is what matters to me. There is a growing realization and acceptance that the Web is a suitable vehicle for real applications, managing rich media and allowing meaningful social interaction.

The funny thing about all of this, at least from my perspective is that the majority of the hoopla revolves around techno-battling. My technology versus yours. I find it even more amusing, and perhaps telling, that I am actually actively involved in this - all my years working with Laszlo engineers and LZX developers has led me to join the cause, brandish a stick and start jabbing it menacingly. The crowd is thickening, and we are deep in the fold. I often-times have to remind myself that the technology is not exactly my battle. I don't write code, but I rely heavily on those that do, and besides, our technology really is better than theirs. Somewhere down the line I may provide a completely unbiased designer's comparison of Web 2.0 technologies - won't that be fun.

Beyond the stick wielding there is a poignant message that I try to keep clear: Whatever the name, or the underlying technology, amazing things are happening. The "Next Gen" dreams of yesteryear - the untouchable software gems we envisioned during the dotcomboom, are within reach. We have the tools to improve the way interactions occur online. I will happily, and perhaps with a bit of told-you-so, show you 6 year old working prototypes of RIAs we built here - or even older demos of cooler things, but that would mostly make me seem angry and cynical... and I would rather join the excited masses, and make new, better applications than remain another day in my dark little hole of self-righteous indignation. Rock on Web two point whatever... rock on.

No comments: